The WRC does not provide legal advice.
The Women’s Resource Center provides justice related assistance to individuals experiencing sexual violence, domestic violence, or stalking. Understanding the impact that violence has on individuals, the Legal Advocacy Program offers trauma-informed support to all victims as they navigate the criminal justice system.
As with other WRC Services, all assistance through the Legal Advocacy Program is free and confidential. Legal Advocates and Justice System Navigators are available during normal business hours to answer questions and provide information related to the court process either in person or over the phone. Additionally, accompaniment to all legal proceedings are available. The WRC wrap around services during the process and following the conclusion of legal proceedings, may include:
- Emergency Shelter
- Counseling for adults and children
- Assistance with Housing
- Safety Planning
Navigating the legal system can be difficult and confusing for people who have experienced violence. Legal Advocates and Justice System Navigators are available to provide information and assistance in many areas related to the judicial process.
- Information and assistance related to protective orders
- Assistance in filing paperwork related to custody, visitation, or child support
- Assistance in filing paperwork for criminal warrants
- Accompaniment to interviews with law enforcement or to the Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Court preparation assistance
- Assistance in filing for Legal Aid Representation
- Assistance in completing paperwork for the Virginia Victims Fund
- Information and referral to other agencies and resources in the New River Valley